Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How to Be Fancy


1. Roast some fresh squash with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt.


2. Chop up some pretty green lettuce (or just grab some arugula...arugula is always fancy).


3. Put thinly sliced Honeycrisp apples on your turkey and cheese panino (and use the correct Italian verbage).


4. Surround yourself with strawberry and parsley plants at dinner time.






Remember that Lady Sage dressing I made a couple weeks ago? I wasn't kidding when I said you could make it however you wanted. Tonight I decided to spice things up (haha!), so instead of using fresh herbs, I added cumin, coriander, and ginger powder along with some honey and olive oil. 
Oddly enough, the combination of honey and cumin almost tasted peachy. I'm so used to salt and cumin together, that I didn't expect the flavor I created, and I fully intend on exploring it some more! Poured over my crisp romaine lettuce and sweet roasted butternut squash, this dressing was a lovely addition to my salad.

(focal black & white is also fancy...car insurance bills in the corner of the picture are not)


And what's that along with my salad, you ask? That's a turkey and Honeycrisp apple panino! Honeycrisp apples are the most divine apple ever created. Have you ever eaten one? It's what dreams are made of.
During this season, I go wild for Honeycrisp apples. They're a bit more expensive than your everyday Galas and Fujis, but they are totally worth it. And, although they taste like sweet, juicy, crispy candy on their own, sometimes I like to incorporate them into other dishes. I sliced the apple very thin, and pressed it into my turkey and provolone sandwich on a hot skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil. The sweet tartness of the apple went so well along with the sharpness of the provolone. To be honest, I prefer apples and cheese to apples and peanut butter (but, then again, peanut is my least favorite of the nut butter family). I'd also suggest this with brie or Swiss cheese. Any cheese you choose, you're bound to feel fancy.

Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

  1. So...my blog isn't nearly as artsy as yours, but I found you finally none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And not a word about the bread you used. :) I guess that what fancy people do, skip the bread talk.

    ReplyDelete