Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Love Letter to Kale

Dear Kale,
Thank you for being so delicious and also so nutritious. Because you are a super food (it's true, go look yourself up on the Whole Foods webpage!) I do not feel bad about shoveling handfuls of your roasted crispy goodness into my mouth as if you were buttered movie popcorn (which, in my opinion, does not taste nearly as good). Tonight, I roasted you in the oven with a pinch of salt and olive oil and lamented seeing the bottom of my bowl. Maybe tomorrow, I will sautee you alongside scambled eggs and mozzarella cheese. Or maybe I'll juice you. Either way, we will both be happy.
Forever and ever,
Rebecca



To celebrate my love of kale, here are some tasty recipes from around the web, and also how I devoured them tonight.


Kale, Spinach, and Pear Smoothie from Joy the Baker

Tuscan Kale Salad with Pecorino from Shutterbean

and even though I'm not a sausage fan, The Pioneer Woman can rarely do wrong.

Now, Giada will tell you to drown your kale in olive oil so they don't burn. I love Giada, but I personally don't like to put too much olive oil on my kale chips (true, I do think burnt roasted kale is yummy).


I lightly coat mine in olive oil and spread them evenly on the pan, give the sea salt grinder a few cranks, and pop them in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. The leaves will be crispy and curly and slightly browned on the edges.

I piled mine high in a bright blue bowl, eating it leaf by leaf, while Fargo sat longingly across the table.




I couldn't not let him lick the bowl clean!




No comments:

Post a Comment